This applies to the Developers API at https://developers.democracyclub.org.uk
Latest version (2 November 2019)
Our API is currently in private beta.
An API key will be provided on request
Users of the API agree to:
- Attribute Democracy Club, ideally with our logo and a link to our website;
- Where possible, send Democracy Club a link to whatever is created and any evidence of impact;
- Allow Democracy Club to publicly share the number of API requests made.
There is no fee or rate limiting, however we request notification of large amounts of traffic so we can maintain the quality of service for all users.
If you would like to discuss different terms of service, please get in touch.
Democracy Club reserves the right to withdraw access if the data is used in such a way that:
- misleads voters (for example, an app to show users their nearest polling station, instead of the correct one allocated to them based on their registered address);
- harms Democracy Club’s ability to deliver the data in future (for example, by weakening the trust placed in us by volunteers or electoral administrators);
- harms the perception of Democracy Club as a non-partisan actor;
- harms the perception of the accuracy of Democracy Club’s data;
- breaks the law (e.g. by the use of personal data for purposes other than an activity that supports or promotes democratic engagement, see s.8(e) of the Data Protection Act 2018).
We aim to be clear and consistent in our application of these terms. In the event of problems brought to our attention, we’ll aim to follow the following steps:
- Democracy Club will raise the issue with the user, remind them of the terms and suggest steps to ameliorate the issue.
- If steps are not taken, or there is no response from a user, the issue will be reviewed by three board members and access may be removed. The executive director(s) has (have) the option to immediately suspend use before the review if they believe significant harm is occurring.
- A final review can be undertaken by the full board if the user requests it.
If possible, include one one of the logos below when attributing use of the API, and link the image to our website.